.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Solo In Chicago

...empowering the Second City's entrepreneurial legal community

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Thick Skin and Attorney Withdrawal

I think the fact of withdrawing from a case is one of the ways that attorney's are too non-businesslike. Name a service provider that you use that wouldn't stop service if their bill went unpaid for more than 2-3 months. And yet I see lawyers staying in cases way too long. Withdrawing from a case must be a pure business decision...work on pro bono cases in areas that you're passionate about don't let your pro bono work be involuntary.

I saw a good example of proper attorney withdrawal yesterday...sort of funny actually. I was up on the 30th Floor at Daley meeting with the opposing attorney and his client on a case. I was in court defending a motion the attorney had filed relating to various post-divorce things, primarily selling a former marital residence. Well, after speaking for a while the opposing client grew frustrated and said simply, I'm not signing a listing agreement to sell the home. That was the main purpose of being in court and then she's goes on about her interests "not being represented."

Well, we had our case called and the attorney was granted leave to withdraw on the spot. This happens to be in a 3-4 year divorce that went through a contested trial and this attorney got a good judgment for the client. And I know he has a nice sized lien on the marital residence so he'll get paid eventually.

Always fire clients when necessary.

1 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"Amen, my brother in the bar. I always try to keep in mind something I learned from an established partner when I was a law school clerk at a prestigious firm, 'The client is often your worst enemy'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google