.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Solo In Chicago

...empowering the Second City's entrepreneurial legal community

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Developing a career plan

Read a nice piece from the Law Bulletin that I think appears every Friday called the "Career Question." The author Kathy Morris had attended a recent conference regarding career planning and shared some insight.

At a general level, we all need to be regularly asking: Where am I? Where do I want to be? How do I get there?

Some other suggestions included looking at other people's Web bios to see how they progressed, focus on talents/skills/capabilities rather than job titles, talk with others.

I think career satisfaction for the young attorney is tremendously difficult and you hear it all the time. The attrition rate for lawyers is ridiculous. I have been enjoying my career a lot more since I founded my own law firm. That said, I am still very much searching for that area of the law that I just love! I find a lot of the elder law and family law I'm currently doing very meaningful, but I don't think of some of the subject-matters as really true to who I am and what I love outside of my career.

What's the path to career fulfillment in the legal field?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google