.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Solo In Chicago

...empowering the Second City's entrepreneurial legal community

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Reaching out to Hispanics

Obviously not a new story, but I noticed another Census Bureau Report out yesterday regarding Hispanic-owned businesses. I know here in the Chicago this isn't new news, but I know I continue to lag in my outreach efforts to this community. I've been on slow road to spanish fluency over the past decade and need to get over that hurdble because I really suspect it is starting to hurt me in the pocket-book by not being able to converse with our large spanish population. I think beyond your obvious southwestern cities/states, Chicago & Illinois are number one in Hispanic population.

Some report highlights:

  • Hispanic-owned businesses grew at three times the national rate for all companies.
  • The number grew by 27% in Illinois...$7.4 billion in revenue.
  • Hispanics own 7% of all businesses.
  • Hispanics are 13% of the U.S. population.
  • 44% of Hispanic business owners were of Mexican descent.

Yeah those Hispanics are just terrible for our country, right Jim Oberweis (is he finally gone for good this time)? Also, the report was based on 2002 data so the numbers are probably higher today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google