.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Solo In Chicago

...empowering the Second City's entrepreneurial legal community

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Good lawyer marketing...once in a great while it does exist

So I had an interview with a law firm the other day...what I can I say I do keep my eyes open for potential opportunities. Well, the position wasn't quite what I was looking for but it was an interesting learning experience on a couple of levels...

First, all this guy (firm's lone principal) did was sales. Essentially the model is to do a ton of marketing to generate heavy phone inquiries. Then offer an initial free consultation. Then his skill is getting the clients signed-up at the initial free consultation. This is all he does for 5 1/2 days of the week. Then all the legal work is farmed out to associates. Might some part of this idea be worth pursuing. The traditional strengths of a good practitioner I don't think generally include sales and yet aren't most small firm lawyers doing both: sales and practice. Maybe there's a better way? I know selling isn't my strength.

Second, the use of multiple law firms for marketing purposes. Essentially this guy had a firm with his name and then another called something like the National Law Firm (slightly different). And he discussed the background of the idea...he mentioned another firm that did sort of high end legal work for a state's governor and then the "same" firm had another storefront firm for the "average Joe" clients. All you need is one a separate phone number and perhaps a Website. Maybe you have your name firm and then others with practice areas in the title or geographic locations.

A little good marketing will seriously separate you from 95% of lawyers out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google