.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Solo In Chicago

...empowering the Second City's entrepreneurial legal community

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Blogs 'essential' to a good career

Saw a decent piece in The Boston Globe recently promoting blogs as a career development tool. These were its eight reasons blogging helps your career:

1. Blogging creates a network. I'd say this is self-explanatory and true.

2. Blogging can get you a job. The piece quotes someone who did. I haven't gotten my dream job quite yet.

3. Blogging is great training. Depending on your blogs' topic, it sure does require you to know your subject-matter.

4. Blogging helps you move up quickly.

5. Blogging makes self-employment easier. This one is a good point. It mentions the simple fact that you can't make it on your own unless you're good at selling yourself and one of the most cost-effective ways to do this is with a blog.

6. Blogging provides more opportunities. I totally agree with this. I've definately gotten a fair amount of free publicity solely related to my blogs. I certainly see the day in the very near future where I'm on a panel or asked to speak and my title will be Peter Olson, blogging @...

7. Blogging could be your big break.

8. Blogging makes the world a better place.

Okay, number eight is a bit pie-in-the-sky but blog away I say!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google