.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Solo In Chicago

...empowering the Second City's entrepreneurial legal community

Friday, November 24, 2006

Solo and small firm trends

Here's a good piece from Attorney Robert Denney regarding solo and small firm trends...he spoke at ISBA's solo and small firm conference.

Some things I found interesting were the fact of the "old-fashioned" generalist continuing to be in demand despite continued specialization. Price is one reason for this. Also, people like the one-stop-shopping option. Another part of this solution were sole practitioners with relationships with lawyers who have other lawyers perform the work but they bill clients themselves. Does anyone do this? I'm curious to learn more myself.

Small litigation firms are enjoying unexpected growth. They're less expensive than the big firms and also more flexible in how they work with clients.

2 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please read my column from the Connecticut Law Tribune "Certification Won't Cure Profession's Ills" which highlights that most people I've talked to want the generalist. They miss the days of going to one lawyer for their needs. I've found your post and the referenced article validating.

Susan Cartier Liebel
www.susancartierliebel.typepad.com

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Peter said...

Thanks for the comment Susan. I saw this piece here from the JD Journal (www.jdjournal.com/articles/the-country-esquires.php) about small town lawyering.

My off-the-cuff thoughts are it's certainly doable to be a generalist and outside of urban America I'm sure it's still common. From the urban lawyer's perspective however, I question its efficiency. If I can practice in my 2-3 specialties is it worth the risk and more so the huge inefficiences (of having to learn totally new areas of law) to be a generalist?

I'm more curious about using of-counsel relationships and "networked" solos to accomplish the same goal more effectively I would argue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google