.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Solo In Chicago

...empowering the Second City's entrepreneurial legal community

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Ah the local bar association "secret handshakes"...

Great story in the Trib. about one lawyers attempt to fight the Will County Bar Association regarding lawyer ID cards used to get into the courthouse more quickly. It sounds like he hasn't been too successful in his legal attempts to overturn the policy but I feel his pain.

I took on a DuPage County dissolution of marriage case recently and I found myself waiting in line at the metal detectors out in Wheaton...they have a similar policy to Will County. Frankly this is a rare instance where I think Cook's doing a better job than the collar counties. There's no bar association membership requirement...any lawyer can pay a minimal charge and get an ID card from the Cook County Sheriff and I think it's good for 3-4 years. The charge is minimal...maybe $25.

The Will County policy must not be that old...I had job some 4 years ago that had me appearing in Joliet quite a bit and I think they used to let attorneys through by just showing your ARDC card.

3 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

I would disagree with your assertion that DuPage County has the same policy that Will County has.

In Will County you MUST belong to the Will County Bar Association to get the pass.

In DuPage County, the passes are administered by the DuPage County Bar Association. However, you need NOT be a member to get the pass. In fact, the process is quite similar to Cook County only you don't have to deal with surly Sheriff's employees to get your pass.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Peter said...

Thanks for the correction Bryan. I was somewhat repeating the position taken in the Tribune article. Okay...DuPage is wonderful and I like their county golf courses.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Peter said...

Hi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google