.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Solo In Chicago

...empowering the Second City's entrepreneurial legal community

Saturday, June 03, 2006

The reality of solo practice

Hey gang just wanted to post something this summer Saturday morning because I've been falling behind on my blogging. But it's been an educational experience and hopefully I can highlight a couple of learning points.

First, my situation has not been unusual, but it is eye-opening to note how little "rocking-of-the-boat" in my life it can take to getting me over my head in legal and life stuff. I have a rare dissolution of marriage trial this coming week that is taking a lot of preparation time. Then, we got pulled into court on an Emergency Motion on Thursday. Next, my wife is a new flight attendant with United so she's on call rather than having a schedule which typically means getting a call at 3 a.m. telling her to be at O'Hare by 5am or so (we do live close to the airport thankfully). And lastly, very positively, we've gotten a handful of new clients recently.

So what's going to happen:

--A new employee is in the pipeline. We've changed our technology setup to have a static IP address so we're going to add someone who can work from home and share our network.

--I need to have a more formal network of other lawyers to handle stuff for me. This does exist informally right now and really has developed a great deal through this blog, but this needs to be a more formal arrangement of people we can call spur of the moment. Can you help me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google