.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Solo In Chicago

...empowering the Second City's entrepreneurial legal community

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Immigrants flock to the suburbs

Here's a piece from yesterdays' Sun-Times about immigration in the Chicago area. Is your Firm feeling the same effect? The numbers are, not suprising to me, but still fairly stagering. Naturalized citizens of voting age were more than 12% of the suburban population and more than 13% of Chicago's. I found it suprising that between the six collar counties with Cook separated between Chicago and suburban Cook, DuPage County actually has the highest naturalized citizen population at 14.4%.

I think the questions that small law firm managers need to be considering are:
  • How can I reach out to these populations (marketing)?
  • How much do I stand to lose by not targeting these populations?
  • How much do I stand to lose by not having foreign language interpretors in my office?
  • Do I (lawyer) need to be fluent in more than one language?
Obviously immigration has huge ramifications that our Congress is having a hard enough time coming to any policies regarding as our federal government; it's a tough issue. That being said, I'd be hard pressed to think of many places in the Chicago area that should not be having Spanish language interpretors available all the time. The same may apply to Polish on the north and northwest sides of Chicago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google