.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Solo In Chicago

...empowering the Second City's entrepreneurial legal community

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Trouble finding an attorney job: what should you do?

Here's a link to a Chicago Daily Law Bulletin article that I was recently interviewed for. The article essentially runs through three routes for newly minted attorneys not finding work:

--Contract work for law firms;

--Go Solo;

--Volunteer for legal service organizations while waiting;

We got this comment recently:

russ said...

The Chicago market is brutal.

I think it's because lots of kids went to law school in the weak economy of the early 2000s. Then when they graduate they don't want to stay in Toledo, DeKalb, or wherever the heck they went to school. They want to live a real lawyer's life...in the big city. Let's face it, the only way you can experience urban living between the two coasts is in Chicago.


I think it's a tough call and I suppose it's somewhat related to your immediate financial need. I don't know enough about the different contract arrangements...I see them listed in classifieds and I do know of people who've done them. I guess the question is if that's all your doing, other than making a few bucks how does it benefit you longer term?

Some combination of the three to me seems the best route. Or, work in a non-legal job for $$ that isn't purely 9-5 on weekdays and then build your solo practice. I'll work with you!

2 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger russ said...

I think volunteering for legal services is the best option. Work a night job and scrape by but when you have experience you'll be an actual candidate for a paying legal job. It's safe to say that the practice of law is a marathon for most. If you keep building experience you will eventually be valuable.

Contract work is a career killer. It does not distinguish you from other candidates.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Peter said...

Interesting thoughts on contract work. And I think within the pro bono area some items are better than others. I'm part of the CBA Senior Will program where clients actually pay a small amount for the service. Beyond that though I think some of the elderly services are good because these folks often know many people and also they're not without wealth. Oftentimes the pro bono places have an income cutoff that retired elderly can qualify for but asset-wise they're wealthy...possible future paid business.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google