.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Solo In Chicago

...empowering the Second City's entrepreneurial legal community

Monday, February 25, 2008

The Store Manager's Sick So Wal-Mart is NOT Opening Today

That's the sort of unbelievable thought I had late last week when I appeared in a local courtroom and a particular judge was out that day so the clerk was just "giving new dates," i.e. nothing substantive was getting done that day.

Are you kidding me?

And my criticism would not lay too much with the particular judge who was out...he/she's a human. People get sick and miss work. But there are probably 10 other judges in that building...could ya send one over. I'm probably one of the least hassled, it's my job to be there and frankly my client's going to get billed regardless. But think of the clients or the pro se folks, they took their day off and maybe gave up a days wages and now they're likely going to have to do it again.

Okay, so the value lost probably was not the equivalent of one day's sales at Wal-Mart, BUT, between the attorneys fees for an additional court date and missing additional days from work that missed court day is costly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google