.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Solo In Chicago

...empowering the Second City's entrepreneurial legal community

Friday, September 08, 2006

Do you keep score of referrals?

Here are a couple of posts here from the Marketing Catalyst blog and here from the Legal Marketing blog. There's some interesting discussion regarding whether or not to "keep score" in your referral network. I think both posts suggest that at some level you need to keep score of who you're referring to. The disagreement only seems to be about how often you're keeping score versus a very long-term mindset that suggests that your referrals will pay off in the long run.

In my opinion, issue one regarding a referral is simply, will my client get the best possible service from the business or individual to whom I'm referring. That's where I struggle when you're in the situation where there are some people who refer business to you, but, to be frank, you don't think too highly of their professional competence in their business. What to do in this situation? I don't want to lose good referers, yet I can't just throw my clients to the wolves to balance my need to refer business. I think my short-term solution has been to sort of show my appreciation to these types of referers in other ways...maybe a lunch out or golf or whatever. It's a tough one...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google